This Vegan Prawn Toast recipe uses accessible ingredients, is simple to follow, and tastes delicious.
Ingredients For This Vegan Prawn Toast Recipe
The star of the show for this recipe is aubergine. It will be our prawn for today. Why does this work as a good prawn substitute? Well, once roasted, aubergine takes on a rather gooey and slimy texture, similar to that of mashed prawns used for Prawn Toast. So, all you have to do is add in the appropriate flavour-enhancing ingredients to your mashed aubergine and boom, you've got yourself a tasty Vegan Prawn Toast.
What will you need?
- Soy Sauce
- Black Pepper
- Nori Sheets
Nori is an edible seaweed (sushi paper) that has a salty, slightly grassy flavour, that reminds us of the sea. It's the closest flavour you can get to the "fishiness" of prawns. By combining all of the ingredients above and leaving the mixture overnight, you'll end up with a vegan alternative to your prawn filling, which in itself tastes delicious!
Want More Vegan Recipes? Check Out These Below!
Vegan Prawn Toast
- 1 aubergine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (to coat the aubergine)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 nori sheet (sushi paper), crushed into little flakes
- 8 slices of bread, cut into squares (just cut off the crusts) Save your crusts to make breadcrumbs! Simply blend them in a food processor and keep them in a container.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch/flour
- 1 tablespoon black or white sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 220C (200C fan).
- Get your aubergine and spike it several times with a fork. Brush with vegetable oil and then roast for 40 minutes or until the skin is wrinkly and the middle is soft.
- Remove your aubergine from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes. Then, remove the skin and mash with your garlic, sugar, soy sauce, salt, black pepper, and crushed nori sheet in a bowl. Give everything a good mix and then cover and leave for at least 4 hours in the fridge, preferably overnight.
- The next day, slice 8 pieces of bread into squares. Remove the crusts (make breadcrumbs out of them!), and set them aside.
- Get your aubergine "prawn" filling from the fridge and give it another good mix.
- Lay one piece of square bread down. Coat a 2 cm layer of your aubergine filling (¼ of the filling) onto the piece of bread and top with another piece of bread. Repeat this step for all of your vegan prawn toasts.
- In a shallow bowl or on a plate, combine your 2 tablespoon vegetable oil and 2 teaspoon cornstarch/flour until you get a thick vegetable oil mixture.
- Gently coat the prawn toast in the vegetable oil mixture by tossing the toast around in it. Then, coat in sesame seeds. Repeat for the 4 vegan prawn toasts.
- Place a frying pan on medium heat with a splash of oil. Add in your vegan prawn toast and fry on each side for around 4 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Remove from the pan and set on a piece of kitchen towel to remove any excess oil. Serve up and enjoy!