Having lived in Poland for part of my childhood, my family loves Kielbasa! It's smoked Polish sausage made from any type of meat and is absolutely delicious in sandwiches! For this Kielbasa Sandwich recipe, I've paired it with several ingredients and a super simple and tasty homemade BBQ sauce.
Kielbasa is the name given to any type of meat sausage in Poland. It's smoked and ready to eat, but it's quite fun to fry it off before eating to get some heat through it and a touch of extra colour!
This Polish sausage can be eaten with a variety of things including sauerkraut, potato salad, casserole, rice, crispy onions, or placed in-between two gorgeously crispy pieces of bread. The latter is our focus for today's recipe, making a delicious Kielbasa sandwich filled with a homemade bbq sauce, sauerkraut, and red onions.
Homemade BBQ Sauce
I've never been a BBQ sauce addict, however, after making this sauce from scratch, I'm slowly finding myself using it more and more...
You'll need the following ingredients to create this tangy concoction:
- Maple syrup
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato purée
- Rice wine vinegar
Check Out My Sandwich World Tour Series
I set myself a challenge to explore and share sandwiches from around the world. Why? Because there is an abundance of sandwiches on this earth with their own unique fillings, bread type, and condiments. From the Francesinha in Portugal to Vada Pan in India, sandwiches are a way for us to encase flavours that we love in order to enjoy them wherever we may be.
Check out some more sandwich recipes below!
If you're enjoying my Sandwich World Tour...
You Might Enjoy My Dumpling World Tour Series
I set myself a challenge to go around the world in 80 dumplings. Why? Because so many countries share a love for dumplings and every country’s dumplings have their own unique twist. From Varenyky in Ukraine to Banh Bot Loc in Vietnam, dumplings are a way for us to celebrate various cultures and culinary differences from all parts of the globe.
Not all my dumpling recipes are up on my website, yet! So, if you’d like to check them out, head on over to my Instagram for the video tutorial and full recipe!
More Delicious Recipes from my Dumpling World Tour
Polish Kielbasa Sandwich
- 1 white crispy roll
- 1 tbsp sauerkraut
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 Polish Kielbasa sausages, cut into a butterfy shape (sliced down the middle but not all the way)
- 2 slices of cheese (Edam or Cheddar)
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon Worcesteshire sauce
- ½ teaspoon tomato purée
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- First make your BBQ sauce by combining all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Then set this aside.
- Get your two Kielbasa sausages, slice them down the middle but not all the way. Press them down into a butterfly shape. Grab a frying pan and place it on medium heat. Drizzle a bit of oil onto the pan and place down your sausages. Fry for 3 minutes on each side, then remove and set aside.
- Get your crispy roll and slice it in half. Add a tablespoon of the sauce onto the bread, top with sausage and your two cheese slices. Place under the grill for 5 minutes or until bubbling and melting. Remove and then top with sauerkraut, red onions, more sauce, and then place the other slice of your roll on top! Then serve up and enjoy!