Packed full of fresh and flavourful ingredients, this simple vegetarian sandwich is perfect for a summers day lunch!
Halloumi Sandwich Ingredients
The beautiful thing about this sandwich is that you can add or takeaway any ingredients (apart from the halloumi) to make it your own.
There are only a handful of things you need for this recipe, that you'll most likely find in your fridge or pantry!
- A bread of your choice (I used a thin focaccia)
- Red onion
In addition to the ingredients above, you'll want to make the Talatouri, aka the Cypriot version of Greek Tzatziki! For that, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Plain yoghurt
- Olive oil
The total time it takes to make this sandwich doesn't exceed 15 minutes. It's honestly so delicious and so simple!
Want More Sandwich Recipes?
Check Out My Sandwich World Tour Series
I set myself a challenge to explore and share sandwiches from around the world. Why? Because there is an abundance of sandwiches on this earth with their own unique fillings, bread type, and condiments. From the Francesinha in Portugal to Vada Pan in India, sandwiches are a way for us to encase flavours that we love in order to enjoy them wherever we may be.
Check out some more sandwich recipes below!
If you're enjoying my Sandwich World Tour...
You Might Enjoy My Dumpling World Tour Series
I set myself a challenge to go around the world in 80 dumplings. Why? Because so many countries share a love for dumplings and every country’s dumplings have their own unique twist. From Varenyky in Ukraine to Banh Bot Loc in Vietnam, dumplings are a way for us to celebrate various cultures and culinary differences from all parts of the globe.
Not all my dumpling recipes are up on my website, yet! So, if you’d like to check them out, head on over to my Instagram for the video tutorial and full recipe!
More Delicious Recipes from my Dumpling World Tour
The Ultimate Cypriot Halloumi Sandwich
- 1 bread roll or focaccia bread
- ½ pack of halloumi, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 lettuce leaves
- handful of black olives, halved
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 5 sprigs of oregano, finely sliced
- ¼ cucumber, grated and squeezed to remove the excess liquid
- 2 tablespoon plain yoghurt/greek yoghurt
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 sprigs of fresh mint, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine all of the Talatouri ingredients. Set aside.
- Prepare your sandwich ingredients: tomato, lettuce, olives, oregano, bread, red onion.
- Get yourself a pan and place it on medium heat. Drizzle over some olive oil and add in your sliced halloumi. Fry on each side for 4 minutes or until golden. Remove the halloumi ready to assemble your sandwich.
- Time to assemble your sandwich. Lightly toast your bread and then spoon on your Talatouri. Layer on your halloumi, red onion, tomato, olives, oregano, lettuce, and your second piece of bread. Serve up and enjoy!