It's national picnic week and what better way to celebrate than to make an incredibly delicious Mexican Pambazo Sandwich!
AD - Mexicana Cheese, seriously good spicy cheese!
This sandwich brings all the essential ingredients together to create the perfect bite. You've got some spicy tones, crunchy elements, and tangy tastes that just melt in the mouth.
So, here are the filling ingredients for your Mexican Pambazo Sandwich:
- Potato, chopped into cubes and boiled
- Chorizo, roughly chopped
- Onion, sliced
- Mexicana Cheddar, grated
- Sour Cream
- Lettuce, sliced
- Avocado, sliced
Traditional recipes for the Mexican Pambazo Sandwich use cream and a white crumbly Mexican cheese as fillings. However, because we don't have a similar cheese here in the UK, I create my own little concoction using Mexicana Cheese. Simply combine grated Mexicana Cheddar with some sour cream and you'll have yourself a delicious creamy cheesy topping, perfect for your sandwich.
For The Dipping Sauce
Now, where this recipe differs to the original recipe, is instead of creating the sauce and brushing it all over the bread, we are serving it as a dipping sauce so you can put it in a little Tupperware to take on your picnic!
First, you want to combine the chillies, garlic, and onion in some boiling water for 15 minutes. Then add them to a blender with 50 ml of the spicy water and whizz it all up!
- 3 Chillies (preferably Guajillo chillies)
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ red onion
- 50ml water
Want More Sandwich Recipes?
Check Out My Sandwich World Tour Series
I set myself a challenge to explore and share sandwiches from around the world. Why? Because there is an abundance of sandwiches on this earth with their own unique fillings, bread type, and condiments. From the Francesinha in Portugal to Vada Pan in India, sandwiches are a way for us to encase flavours that we love in order to enjoy them wherever we may be.
Check out some more sandwich recipes below!
If you're enjoying my Sandwich World Tour...
You Might Enjoy My Dumpling World Tour Series
I set myself a challenge to go around the world in 80 dumplings. Why? Because so many countries share a love for dumplings and every country’s dumplings have their own unique twist. From Varenyky in Ukraine to Banh Bot Loc in Vietnam, dumplings are a way for us to celebrate various cultures and culinary differences from all parts of the globe.
Not all my dumpling recipes are up on my website, yet! So, if you’d like to check them out, head on over to my Instagram for the video tutorial and full recipe!
More Delicious Recipes from my Dumpling World Tour
Mexican Pambazo Sandwich
- 1 bread roll, sliced in half
- Handful of shredded lettuce
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ¼ chorizo, roughly sliced
- 2 medium-sized boiled potatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 dry chillies, preferably Guajillo chillies
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- A handful of grated Mexicana Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- In a small bowl, add your chillies, ½ red onion, and garlic. Then cover with 200ml of boiling water. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chillies, onion, and garlic from the water and place in a blender with 50ml of the chilli water. Blend until smooth (add in more water if it's too thick). Set it aside in a small Tupperware.
- Grab yourself a frying pan and place it on medium heat. Add in some vegetable oil, then add in ½ onion, chorizo, boiled potatoes, cumin, oregano, and paprika. Fry for 10 minutes on medium heat until well combined.
- In a bowl, combine your grated Mexicana Cheese and sour cream.
- Place down the bottom of your sliced roll into the centre of some baking paper or tin foil. Spoon on some of the chorizo and potato filling, lettuce, avocado, cheese mixture, and the top of the sliced roll...wrap it up, and then it's ready for your picnic! Don't forget to take the dipping sauce in a separate little Tupperware!