This Sweet & Spicy Mac and Cheese Recipe takes less than 15 minutes to make and is absolutely delicious. It also has a secret ingredient that takes it to a whole new level!
About This Recipe
Mac and Cheese is one of those dishes that is the epitome of comfort. It's a cheesy hug in a bowl, and it's delicious. Taking less than 15 minutes to make, it's the perfect weeknight dinner! As you all know, I love to put a twist on things, so, for this sweet & spicy mac and cheese recipe, I added Sriracha for a bit of a kick, and my chosen secret ingredient; tamarind paste.
Tamarind paste is from the fruit pod of the tamarind tree. It's got a sweet, tangy, and slightly sour taste, but works perfectly in all kinds of dishes to add a yummy twist.
Ingredients For This Dish
This meal uses a variety of cheeses, pasta, and a few other bits and bobs.
- Macaroni pasta
- Red onion
- Tamarind paste
- Cheddar cheese
- Gruyère cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Coriander or Basil for garnish
With regards to the three musketeers (aka the three cheeses), feel free to use any three cheeses of your choosing.
Variations & Substitutions for This Sweet & Spicy Mac and Cheese Recipe
Although this is a Mac and Cheese recipe, you could use the sauce for any pasta type whether it be spaghetti, linguine, penne, etc! In terms of the other ingredients for this recipe, feel free to find some substitutes below:
- Red onion - obviously you could use a white onion if you like! Or you could use spring onions or leeks!
- Sriracha - I love TABASCO Sriracha. It's my favourite brand for Sriracha and has a wonderful balance of spice and sweetness. If you don't have Sriracha, then you could use any other form of spice you have whether that be chilli flakes, chilli oil, or paprika!
- Tamarind paste - now this ingredient makes this dish rather special. However, if you don't have access to this ingredient, you could mix 2 teaspoon brown sugar with ½ teaspoon malt vinegar. This will provide you with that tangy sweetness that the tamarind paste gives you!
- CHEESE - literally, you can use any cheese you like...parmesan, gruyère, cheddar, pecorino, Red Leicester, mozzarella, Emmental...
Sweet & Spicy Mac and Cheese
- 175g macaroni pasta
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, I recommend using TABASCO Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 150ml warm milk
- 3 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoon grated gruyère cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Handful of coriander or basil, finely chopped for garnish
- Bring a pan of salted water to a boil, pour in your macaroni pasta, and cook to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, place a frying pan on medium heat and add in your vegetable oil. Add in your red onion and garlic, fry for 3 minutes.
- Next up, squeeze in 1 tablespoon sriracha, 1 teaspoon tamarind paste, and 150ml warm milk.
- Add your three types of cheese to the pan and give it a good stir. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper, then drain your mac and cheese and pour the pasta into the sauce. Mix thoroughly and then serve up with more cheese, your coriander (or basil) for garnish, and enjoy!