You can't go wrong with a cheesy, tomatoey pasta recipe with loads of fresh basil. That's why this Baked Mozzarella Pasta is an absolute crowd-pleaser and a weeknight repeatable recipe!
About This Pasta Recipe
This recipe was inspired by Julius Roberts Mozzarella Diavolo recipe (a baked mozzarella dish) and it is absolutely delicious. I've baked many cheeses from camembert to feta, but I'd never thought of baking mozzarella...so Julius' mozzarella bake inspired this pasta dish and OH am I glad!
Ingredients For This Baked Mozzarella Pasta
This dish is really very simple and only requires a handful of ingredients. First up, you want to make your sweet and tangy tomato sauce by combining the following ingredients:
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
Once you've let that bubble away, you'll want to transfer everything to a small (or large) baking dish. Nestle in your mozzarella ball and then bake for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, you want to cook your pasta of choice. I chose Mafalde pasta, it's a gorgeous shape and works perfectly to catch all of the mozzarella and tomato sauce in this dish...but you can use whichever type you like!
Serve up by combining your pasta and your baked mozzarella sauce, and enjoy!
Other Recipes That You Might Like
Baked Mozzarella Pasta
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 chunky ball of mozzarella
- 150-200g mafalde pasta (or linguine)
- Drizzle your oil into a pan and add in your onion and garlic. Fry on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Add in your salt, pepper, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and sugar. Cook for 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Pick some fresh basil leaves and toss them into your mixture. Transfer to a small oven-proof dish, tuck in your mozzarella ball, drizzle with a bit more oil, and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta to packet instructions in salted water.
- Remove your baked mozzarella from the oven, drain your pasta, mix it all up together, and enjoy!