This Honey Harissa Chicken Pasta with Chickpeas is one of my favourite go-to weeknight meals that takes less than 20 minutes to make. It's full of flavour and simple to make!
This is one of my favourite recipes to cook after a long day because it's simple to make and only requires a handful of ingredients!
If you're looking for more easy meals and have a bit more time on your hands, check out my recipes that take less than 30 minutes.
- Chicken: I used chicken thighs, as I find these to be the most moist and tender pieces to use for this recipe. But, feel free to use chicken breast too.
- Harissa Paste: this is one of my favourite pastes to have in my fridge. Harissa paste is a North-African chilli paste that has the most incredible smoky spicy flavour. For this recipe, I've used Belazu's Smoked Chilli Harissa paste, but feel free to use whichever brand/paste you like. Depending on the type of harissa paste (some are much spicier than others!!), you may want to adjust the recipe quantity. Start off by adding a bit of paste, and gently add more.
- Pasta: I used fusilli corti but feel free to use any type of pasta you have in the house!
- Garlic: once again, feel free to add as much garlic as you like (I'm talking to all you garlic girls and guys!!).
- Onion: I've used a white onion and sliced it to add extra flavour. Feel free to use a red onion, or shallots too!
- Chickpeas: I am obsessed with chickpeas at the moment, especially the ones from Bold Bean Co. Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans are a great source of protein, fiber, various vitamins, and minerals, so I'd highly recommend adding them in!
- Single cream: this adds gorgeous silkiness to the dish and brings everything together! If you want to use less cream, then make up the rest of the dish with milk. It's not as creamy, but it still tastes great!
- Honey: depending on the sweetness of your harissa paste, you may want to add in some honey just to balance out the spice. All you'll need is a teaspoon and the dish is elevated!
- Lemon: add a squeeze of lemon juice to balance out the dish and add some acidity.
- Coriander or parsley: simply chop up these ingredients and add them on top of the dish as a garnish.
- Parmesan cheese: grate some cheese onto your dish, this adds such a lovely finishing touch to the harissa chicken pasta.
How To Make Honey Harissa Chicken Pasta
Step 1: Boil Your Pasta
- In a pan of boiling salted water, pour in your pasta of choice.
- Cook to packet instructions or until al dente.
- Remove and strain, then set aside while you fry your chicken and make your sauce.
Step 2: Fry Your Chicken
- Place a frying pan on medium heat.
- Drizzle with oil and then add in your chicken thighs.
- Add in your garlic and harissa paste and give everything a little stir.
- Fry the chicken for 6 minutes on each side. Once cooked, remove the chicken and set aside.
- Turn the heat to low.
Step 3: Make Your Sauce
- Add in your onions and chickpeas. Give them a stir and fry for 3 minutes.
- Pour in your cream, honey, and lemon juice. Stir until everything is well combined.
Step 4: Pour In Your Pasta
- Add your pasta into your creamy harissa pasta sauce and stir well.
Step 5: Slice your chicken and serve!
- Slice your chicken and then toss into your pasta.
- Top your dish with chopped coriander or parsley, and parmesan cheese.
- Serve up and enjoy!
Can I Meal Prep This Recipe?
- If you'd like to meal prep this recipe, double, triple, this recipe for as many people/as many lunches or dinners as you'd like!
- Place any meal-prep or leftovers in an tupperware and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- When you're reheating the pasta, pour 2 tablespoon of milk into the tupperware and reheat in the microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Adding in the milk will loosen up the pasta and recreate that creaminess you desire!
- Feel free to freeze this recipe if you like! It won't have the exact same texture when defrosted, but it'll still taste great!
Variations & Substitutions
What if I'm vegan? How to make this dish vegan:
- Remove the chicken and substitute it with tofu. Chop the tofu into cubes and fry in the harissa paste and garlic as stated in the recipe.
- Replace any dairy with your favourite vegan alternative. I'd personally use soy single cream for the base and/or soy milk. Get yourself some vegan parmesan, or you can sprinkle on some nutritional yeast for cheesiness.
What if I don't have harissa paste?
- Well, that would be a real shame, BUT, if you don't have harissa paste, feel free to use any other spiced chilli paste you have. Or you could use chilli flakes, smoked paprika, or chipotle flakes. Add them in a teaspoon at a time, and taste along the way.
If you like this Harissa Chicken Pasta recipe, then you might like some of these quick and easy recipes:
- Baked Mozzarella Pasta
- Avocado and Chilli Oil Linguine
- Lemongrass & Coconut Tofu Curry
- Easy Spam Ramen With Egg
- Vietnamese Inspired Summer Noodle Salad
Honey Harissa Chicken Pasta With Chickpeas
- 1 Pot for pasta
- 1 Frying pan
- 400g fusilli corti, or any type of pasta you like
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 chicken thighs (you can fry more if you'd like more meat)
- 2 tablespoon harissa paste (start off by adding less and add more as you go)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 200g chickpeas
- 300 ml single cream
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ juice of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- chopped coriander or parsley, for garnish
- grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Place your pasta into a pan of boiling salted water and cook to package instructions, or until al dente.
- Meanwhile, place your frying pan on medium heat and drizzle in your vegetable oil.
- Add in your chicken, garlic, and harissa paste. Give everything a stir and then fry the chicken for 6 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Without cleaning the pan, place it back onto low heat and add in your onions and chickpeas. Give everything a stir. Then add in your single cream, salt, and pepper. Once again, stir until well combined.
- Drizzle in your honey and lemon juice. Then, add in your cooked pasta and combine until your pasta is coated in the sauce.
- Top with your chicken, coriander or parsley, and parmesan. Enjoy!